Requirements: Compatible with iPad. Requires iOS 3.2 or later.
Limitations / License: /
Publisher's description - iA Writer 1.6
"Information Architects’ new Writer app brings that same hyperfocused aesthetic to word-processing."--WIRED
"The Perfect iPad Writing App"--Gizmodo
"Finally: The Writer for creative writing"--Fontblog
"If you like writing, see the excellent Writer from @iA… (If you don’t like writing, this may change your mind.)" -- Liz Danzico
"an intriguing app" -- Khoi Vinh
"as good as everyone is saying. I’ve so much writing to do on my trips, so £2.99 well spent." -- Simon Collison
"I’ve been using the beta for a while and it’s truly awesome." -- Vitor Lourenço
"‘Writer’ from @iA is a beautifully crafted application for the iPad. If you write, buy it." -- Mark Boulton
"perfection in every way." -- Beautiful Pixels
"Excellent work. Writing just got better" -- Aza Raskin
WHY WE BUILT IT
The key to good writing is not that magical glass of Bordeaux, the right kind of tobacco or that groovy background music. The key is focus.
Writer has no graphic settings or formatting features. It avoids all distracting glitz in the user interface and puts all the beauty in the shape of the text. It uses an interactive logic that helps you concentrate, find your orientation and express yourself. With Writer all your thought goes into what you write, not how your writing looks.
For the iPad version we also added Dropbox synchronization, punctuation and arrow keys.
HOW IT WORKS
1. FOCUS MODE creates a noise free writing space. No auto-correction, spelling errors, toolbars, scrolling, editing, cut/copy/paste to distract you moving forward in your text. Focus Mode blurs out everything except the latest three lines of text you were working in. The idea is to activate it when you get stuck, blinding out everything else.
2. GOOD TYPOGRAPHY is not just pretty to look at. It facilitates the process of reading. If you look at text as an interface, typography is its usability. Common text editors are typographically weak (small font, tight leading, random measure, lack of whitespace). In addition, few people have the professional skills to design digital text. In Writer, font type, text size, column width, leading and contrast are carefully set for the best reading experience both in portrait and landscape mode.
(Writer uses a monospaced font called Nitti Light created and optimized for iPad by the type wizards at Bold Monday. The font transports the provisory character of drafting and forces you to read slowly and precisely without being tedious to look at.)
3. READING TIME gives you an approximation of how long it will take to read your text. Cursor time shows you in minutes and seconds up to where the cursor is.
4. KEYBOARD EXTENSIONS provides arrow keys and punctuation. We disabled smart quotes to keep you focused on what you say and not how you type. The suggestion to get rid of smart quotes is not a nerd`s wish, it came from a grandmaster of type (Erik Spiekermann).
5. DROPBOX allows web synchronization of your documents from iPad to the cloud, seamlessly, so you don`t have to spend time syncing with iTunes.
CONCEPT & DESIGN: Oliver Reichenstein CODE: Raphael Schaad
BETA TESTERS & CONTRIBUTORS: Erik Spiekermann, Scott Thomas, Khoi Vinh, Mike Rundle, Liz Danzico, Aza Raskin, Patrick Algrim, John Boardley, Paul van der Laan, Vitor Lourenço, Mark Boulton, Om Malik, Marcos Weskamp, Craig Mod, Joshua Brewer, Antonio Carusone, Aegir Hallmundur, Jürgen Siebert, Indra Kupferschmid, Alan van Roemburg, Paul Bakaus, Jean Snow, Alexander Limi, Matt Roberts, The Design Observer Group, Robin Sloan, Tina Roth Eisenberg, Guido Mingels, Wolfgang Blau, Stefan Seiz, Giovanni De Mauro, Stephan Seidt, Kari Pätilä, Moritz Zimmer, Edial Dekker, Daisuke Don Horie, Christian Steinert, Jay Nelson, Nobuyuki Hayashi, Matthew Solle, Paul Baron, Dan Oliver, Bodhi Philpot, Anatole Varin, Juho Viitasalo, Michael Donohoe, Ben Sekulowicz, Takeshi Tanaka, and the Legendary Shane Berry.
Things I love: Interface Font iCloud sync
Needs: Offline file access
Every time you do any work or try to access a file, it must connect online. WriteRoom, for example, downloads all your notes and stores them locally. That is what iA Writer needs to make me switch.
Where did my full essays go?
I loved this app until I tried to open an old Essay I wrote, which was supposedly uploaded to iCloud and on both my iPhone and iPad it tells me "This file could not be opened". I wasted plenty of time writing extremely long project essays and creative stories and just like that they are not able to open one day. This app is a waste of time! I want my documents recovered! That isn`t going to happen, so this is just a warning for others.
I Am So Blown Away
This app breathes meticulous, well thought and optimized coding... I am a VoiceOver user and wholeheartedly applaud your accessibility initiatives. Will reference you in most of my reviews from now on, you guys are splendid role-models!
The "Download" link for iA Writer 1.6 directs you to the iTunes AppStore, where you have to continue the download process.You must have an iTunes account to download the application. This download link may not be available in some countries.